As I start my first ever season coaching freshmen, I am starting to have a better understanding of all the fundamental skills that need to be taught in order for these young minnows to progress into full-fledged varsity players.

One area that has been taking up a lot of my time has been teaching transition concepts. It's been frustrating because I am used to coaching JV or Varsity and there are just things that as a coach you take for granted such as spacing and passing ahead.

Anyways, here is a great short clip from the folks at Duke Blue Planet and their continuing Blue Print series, this one on transition offense.


Having a pg that can push, that big guy who can rebound and outlet to the pg ASAP is so important, then having that big guy rim run is next. Spacing obviously, finish, and the trailer, all important concepts.

Lots more you can find from the 2010-2011 All-Access Duke Practice DVD set.

0 comments