I actually watched the Lakers/Nuggets game but there wasn't really any good team basketball clips worth taking, so I took a clip of this from Sportscenter highlights of the Celtics/Knicks game. One of the things I like to emphasize is that good defense usually leads to good offense. If our team is playing good defense, at least we feel we will get some easy baskets off of fast or secondary breaks. Everything starts with your defense in my opinion. We blow out teams, even good teams, when we play good defense. In fact, I don't remember a time where we've ever blown out a good team by just playing good offense, ala the Phoenix Suns. Watch the video and read my thoughts below,



Kevin Garnett gets a big time block on his old running mate, Stephon Marbury. That starts the fast-break the other way and Ray Allen strokes the jumper to finish off this great sequence.

Another term you've probably heard me say if you've read my earlier posts, every good offensive play starts with a defensive play. I truly believe in that. I'm a defense first coach and when I scout opponents, I'm always thinking first, how do we stop them, how do we take away their best threat, how do we force them into turnovers. Defense is where as a coach, we have the most influence. Offense is largely dependent on the talent of your players.

A great DVD that breaks down the man-to-man fundamentals is Geno Auriemma's 8 Essential Defensive Drills DVD. Coach Auriemma is the head coach of multiple national championship winning lady Huskies of UConn. Head over to the X's and O's of Basketball Forum to discuss all of your hoops.

0 comments