What Is Your Go-to Move?

I often ask my players to find a go-to move. I think it's important in games that players have a move that they know and can use to create and get their shot off under pressure. It doesn't really matter what the move is really, so long as the player is comfortable with it and that it is effective. Some post guys like the baby hook, others will use a power jump stop, some guys use a cross-over or a reverse layup. I caught the beginning of the Houston Rockets against Los Angeles Clippers game and Sam Cassell used his baseline fadeaway jumper and it reminded me of this concept. Watch the video and read my thoughts below,



By emphasizing a go-to move, I don't mean to say that players should not work on their all-round game, because I know that part is important. But in those situations when the shot clock is winding down, I think it's important to have that one move that each player is comfortable performing under pressure. In that pressure situation, you don't want your players thinking too much, just do it as they say.

Here, Sam Cassell has been using his baseline fadeaway jumper since he came into the league 15 years ago. I don't usually like the fadeaway but obviously Sam is comfortable with it and he's been consistent at hitting it. It's his go-to move.

For more individual skill development, check out Phil Martelli's DVD on becoming a better 1-on-1 player. There, you should find plenty of moves to inspire your players with. Head over to the X's and O's of Basketball Forum to talk with other coaches and share your ideas with the community.

0 comments